On a global scale construction is responsible for approximately 40% of the total CO2 emission. This must lead to action.
Through the Nordic Council of Ministers, a number of actions has been initiated to address this challenge involving all relevant actors. However, the challenges regarding sustainability in construction cannot be reduced to find generic solutions regarding architecture, materials, methods, education etc. It must also be linked to the specific place-based conditions in which a construction will take place.
Nonetheless, development tends to take place in conditions unlike the Arctic. This session will discuss recommendations for how to accelerate sustainable construction in cold climate conditions. To do so the session will address the following questions: What are the factors and events that can catalyse the necessary change? How can entrepreneurship, innovation and development be stimulated in all parts of the value chain to meet the challenges?
Time and Date
Date: 13. october 2022
Time: 11.00 - 12.00 (Iceland UTC±00:00: 09.00-09.55)
Organized by: SUSTAINORDIC, Form/Design Center (Sweden)
● Dorte Bo Bojesen, CEO, Form/Design Center, Sweden: Promoting Sustainability through Materials and Architecture
● Hulda Hallgrímsdóttir, Project Leader in Climate Projects, City of Reykjavik, Iceland: Challenges and Experiences from an Icelandic Perspective
● Björn Karlsson, Professor; Senior Advisor, Ministry of Infrastructure, Iceland: Challenges and experiences from an Icelandic/Arctic perspective
● Jean-Philippe Messier, Founder; Director, The Manicouagan-Uapishka World Biosphere Reserve (MUWBR), Canada: Perspectives on Cold Climate Construction and place based Sustainable Development
● Sigríður Ósk Bjarnadóttir, Director of Sustainability, Hornsteinn ehf, Iceland: Low Carbon Construction in Cold Climate Conditions
● Arnhildur Palmadottir, Architect, sap arkitektar, Iceland: Architecture in Cold Climate Condition
Moderator: Mads Randbøll Wolff, Director, Sustainability2030; Associated Partner, SUSTAINORDIC, Denmark
See the full event here